Budrick, Callie. "Magazine Cover Design in the Age of Trump," Printmag.com. Print, August 25, 2017. September 30. 2017.

What it is: This is a cover from The Economist periodical from August 2017.

The function: To shock a reader. To draw them in to buy the magazine and read it.

Where I saw it: I found this piece on Printmag.com. It is part of an article discussing magazine cover design in the Age of Trump.

The style of the design and typography: The design reminds me of Art Deco's tenants for minimalism. Only the least amount of type. No big headline. The typography is conservative in it's use. The fonts are serif and san-serif styles.

The quality of the work: I would say the quality is excellent. The illustrator effectively conveys an omninous theme by using a clansmen's hood as a megaphone for President Trump.

What attracted me to the piece: The subtle use of shocking imagery. It will either make you very angry or concerned about the message it is trying to convey.

Comments